February 3, 2012

Civil War Boy's Jacket Pattern from Godey's Lady's Book

When I went to Antietam, the museum there had a tiny Zouave jacket worn by a musician during the battle. It has fabric covered decorative buttons on the red patterns and was sewn with white thread.The coat was small, it was almost sad to think about the boy wearing it.

I found a very similar jacket pattern in Godey's and wanted to offer the pattern to my readers with children. 



I was going to wait to post this until I had it drafted to correct shape and proportions but school has been extremely busy again and it doesn't seem like I'll have a chance to do it for a while. So far I have the back proportioned out correctly but am working on making the front armholes a comfortable curve. My drafting skills are terrible so I am sure someone else could have this drawn out quickly.  

3 comments:

  1. This is so cool! I'm a re-enactor too. I can't wait to make one for my brother.

    ReplyDelete
  2. For a taste of the Civil War seen through the eyes of a 12-year old Union drummer boy, read my most recent short story I wrote about Johnny Clem, the "Drummer Boy of Chickamauga" (Advisory: graphic imagery and war scenes)

    http://eyeofthedragon237.deviantart.com/art/AD-1863-Drummer-Boy-of-Chickamauga-277589393

    ReplyDelete
  3. Jeff, I liked that one. I thought about it when I saw that jacket in the museum.

    ReplyDelete

Tell me what you think!

Copyright © 2008-2020 Stephanie Ann Farra. All rights reserved.

All materials posted on this site are subject to copyrights owned by Stephanie Ann Farra. Any reproduction, retransmissions, or republication of all or part of any document found on this site is expressly prohibited, unless the author has explicitly granted its prior written consent to so reproduce, retransmit, or republish the material. All other rights reserved.